So today, after almost six weeks, we had to say goodbye to our sweet Sally. When I got the email asking if I could take her in to nurse her back to health, there were several things I didn't anticipate. #1- That we would have her for so long (it was supposed to be just a week). #2- That I would fall instantly in love with her. And, #3- That giving her up would be so difficult.
I wouldn't trade the time that we've had with her for anything. She has been a blessing to us and she's taught us so many lessons. The biggest thing that she's taught me and my girls is that it's okay to love and let go. I want to teach my girls that it is good to help out an animal or anyone in need knowing full well that you won't "get"anything in return. I want them to do things without award or recognition. Our society is all about self-gratification. We are always giving out trophies, awards, certificates and so on. It's all about what we can get out of it. Sally taught me and hopefully my girls that the best rewards in life are not always tangible.
My reward has been seeing Sally blossom from a scared, skinny greyhound in pain to a happy, healthy, trusting and playful dog that God intended her to be! It is amazing in six weeks how much she changed. Physically with almost 9 pounds of fat she added and emotionally from a timid, scared dog to a loving and trusting dog. I guess initially I thought my reward would be to keep Sally for myself, but the Lord is teaching me that my reward is actually letting her go. It's definitely not easy, I am bawling my eyes out as I type, but I know it's what is right! Sally found a wonderful new home with a sweet and loving girl. I know she will take good care of her and she has promised to keep me updated on how Sally is doing and we may even get together every so often so we can visit with Sally!
Seriously, how could you not fall in love with this sweet girl!?!?
We will always love you, Sally. You gave us more than we could've ever given you. Be a good girl!

1 comment:
Michele, I enjoyed catching up on your blog(sadly, it's been a while)...the girls costumes were soo cute! Claire did kinda look like a mental patient! LOL! They are just too cute! And this post about Sally...wow! You are so amazing! And what a great lesson to teach the girls! I'm sure they had a hard time letting go, but will likely remember the positives of the experience!
Post a Comment